5 Tips for Flu Prevention
We urge you to take the following 5 steps to protect against seasonal flu, as well as the H1N1 (swine flu) virus.
- GET VACCINATED.
- Get vaccinated for Seasonal Influenza (flu): available now.
- Get vaccinated for H1N1 Influenza (swine flu) available late October if you are eligible.
- Know the signs and symptoms of Influenza (Seasonal and H1N1 or swine flu)
- Sore throat
- Extreme tiredness
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle aches
- Practice cough etiquette. Cough or sneeze into your sleeve or tissue.
- Wash hands well and frequently (soap and water or hand sanitizer) and avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
The Following are 5 Tips for Taking Care of Yourself or a Loved One with the Flu:
- Stay home and drink plenty of fluids.
- Contact your Physician/Provider if you are feeling very sick, unable to keep down fluids, have trouble breathing or have a chronic illness (some examples: heart and lung diseases, diabetes, asthma) or are on steroid medication.
- Stay home for 24 hours after your fever is gone (without the use of medication).
- Take anti-virals only if directed by your physician.
- Limit contact with others to prevent infecting them.